The aim of this course is to improve your technical kayak skills, risk and safety skills and prepare you to kayak in 3* conditions. We will perfectionize some of the techniques and rescues you learned during the basic kayak course, learn more effective methods to control and turn your kayak, learn more advanced rescues and work on your safety and navigational skills.
- Grunnkurs hav – basic sea kayak course – NPF 2* or similar
- Contact us if you have previous kayak experience but none of the above levels and you are not sure if you can join (entry test possible)
This course will take place around Sommarøy. Possible on request when booking: Senja or Lyngen
- Weekendcourses: Saturday-sunday (09.00-17.00)
- Week days: 2 days (09.00-17.00)
- Evening courses: 2 evenings (-+ 16 hours in total)
- Private timeslots possible upon request
- local and NPF certified sea kayak instructor
- Possibility to rent kayak and safety equipment (500 nok for a full set)
- warm wool underwear, beanie and socks
- food and warm drinks
- 1 set of spare clothes
- towline + knife
- Lift, carry, launch your kayak in different conditions
- Efficient forward paddling stroke (paddle straight ahead over longer distances)
- Backwards paddling
- 8-figure paddling forwards and backwards with edging of the kayak
- Different stern rudders
- Bow rudder
- Sculling / sideways moving without speed and in forward movement
- Low and high brace strokes
- Sculling for bracing
- Different ways of buddy-rescues, in more challenging conditions
- Self rescue in more challenging conditions
- Towing scenarios and use of towing line
- Advanced rescue introduction
- Eskimoroll introduction
Can we start the activity at another time?
Some of our activities are quite flexible regarding starting or ending times, so don’t hesitate to contact us for any personal wishes.
Terms and conditions
Every client must take care of his/her own travel- and accident insurance. Please make sure that your insurance covers also possible rescue from wilderness regions above the arctic circle.
Booking and payment
Once you have made a booking with us, you confirm this by paying a deposit of 50% of the full tour/course price . The deposit invoice is sent by e-mail and need to be paid within 14 days. The remaining amount is due 30 days before the start of your tour/course, a separate invoice is sent for that by e-mail. If your booking is made less than 30 days before the start date of your tour/course, you need to place your full payment within seven days after your booking. The right to participate to the tour/course is formed after the payment has been paid in a whole. On one day tours the full payment invoice is send immediately after booking and booking is confirmed with us by paying the invoice.
All cancellations should be made in written and sent by e-mail to : tim (at) havkajakkurs.no
Following charges will apply:
- More than 30 days before the start day of the tour/course=loss of deposit
- 30-15 days before the start of the tour/course=75% of total sum of tour/course
- Less than 15 days before the start of the tour/course=100% of total sum of tour/course
- Exceptions are if True North Adventures cancels the tour/course
True North Adventures is not responsible for the consequences of any delays, expenses incurred or alterations caused by illness, weather, war, terrorism, political events, civil strike, natural disaster, technical difficulties or any event beyond our control.
If a tour/course does not have the sufficient amount of participants 14 days before the start date, True North Adventures has the right to cancel the tour/course. You can find the minimum amount of participants on the specific tour/course information page. If a tour/course is likely to be cancelled under such circumstances mentioned above you will be informed as soon as possible. If a tour/course is cancelled under such circumstances mentioned above you are entitled to a full refund of any payments made to True North Adventures.
If True North Adventures cancels your tour/course, True North Adventures will not be liable for any third party expenses which you may have incurred as a result of your booking.
Personal items remain always in responsibility of the customer. True North Adventures does not accept responsibility for any loss of personal belongings or valuables.
Responsibility must be accepted for any equipment loaned from True North Adventures to customers, and one must agree to pay for any loss or damage caused to this equipment while in your care.
The customer must follow the regulations and guidelines given by True North Adventures. Customer must always comply the decisions made by the guide.
True North Adventures takes all the safety measurements to make every tour safe. However, customers must understand the possible dangers and hazards associated with this kind of travel. All participants choose to take part on the tour at their own risk.
If a customer has any disabilities, illnesses or allergies, this must be informed to True North Adventures by the time of booking. All information given will be handled confidentially.
Any complaints that should arise, must be immediately brought up with the guide. Written complaints should be sent to True North Adventures no later than two weeks after the tour has ended.
The activity we want to do is 3 persons minimum, we are only 2, it this possible?
If you are not with the minimum number of persons we require for an activity to go through, you can always contact us if it’s possible anyways, or for a private arrangement.
How do I make direct contact?
Feel free to contact us for any questions or wishes on:
Is the prices per person or per group?
For most activities we have a “per person” rate, but if you are a bigger group, or just want a private experience, don’t hesitate to contact us for more individual packages.